People are uncertain about everything. They say there are only two things that are certain — death and taxes.
The world has shrunk. Today more than at any time in history, because of technology, we know what’s going on everywhere in the world. This creates fear and worry. But there are also certainties in this world.
Let’s first examine the uncertainties:
• The state of our nation. We are in trouble because of the financial situation, such as the national debt, unemployment, health care and so forth.
• The state of the world. There are wars, violence, chaos, the environment and so forth. All of these, such as wars and violence, are real. Global warming is a hoax. But its purpose, added to all the rest of the above, is to make people insecure, afraid and uncertain. It’s working. Everywhere there is fear.
Now, let’s state the certainties — beside death and taxes.
• God is on his throne. He created everything and controls everything.
• His only son Jesus came to earth in human form to redeem us back to himself because of Adam’s sin.
• The Bible is right. It is God’s word to man. Everything that is going on in the world today is in the Bible.
• God is in control, and if you trust in him through his son Jesus by faith, fear will turn to joy and uncertainty into certainty.
• This life will end, but real life will begin. No more fear, no more tears, just happiness forever.
What can you do now to receive this certainty? If you are not in a church, find one that teaches God’s word. Support it with your attendance, prayers and money. Keep your pastor continually in prayer. If the pastors are truly of God, the devil continually fights them. Spend your time fulfilling God’s purpose for your life. Turn fear and uncertainty into joy.
• The Rev. Richard Genereux is minister of Galatians Liberty Center. Sermon Notes is a column by ministers of the Patterson Ministerial Association.