Patterson’s Ralph Corwin has won his fourth Destruction Derby at the county fair.
The City Council has placed a moratorium on the construction of multi-family dwellings, allowing the city staff time to update building requirements.
Peter Iden of Frankfort, Germany, was Patterson’s very first AFS student in 1955-56. Last week he visited the C.C. Bessey family to reminisce about those days. He now edits the cultural section of a Frankfort newspaper and teaches history of arts and theater at a university.
A turkey was observed this week standing in the middle of the Highway 33 and Las Palmas intersection.
50 years ago – July 30, 1964
A vehicle accident knocked out power and inadvertently released chlorine gas at the swimming pool on high school grounds. Five children were treated at Del Puerto Hospital, and one was held overnight for observation.
The former Masonic Temple building on North Third Street is being renovated by new owners Art Stangeland and James Mahaffey, Jr.
John Evans has returned from the East Coast after attending the National Boy Scout Jamboree at Valley Forge.
75 years ago – July 28, 1939
Attendance at this year’s Horsethief Bend celebration broke all previous records. An estimated 5000 turned out to watch Sunday’s parade.
A.F. Gervasoni has sold the Patterson Market to C. Miner and sons of Crows Landing and Ray Nelson of Stockton.
School district budgets for the coming year are up slightly. The high school will operate on a budget of $61,600 and Patterson Elementary $44,100.
100 years ago – August 1, 1914
Patterson now has 513 voters eligible to cast ballots in next month’s election.
Associated Oil Co. is erecting two 10,000-gallon storage tanks just across the tracks from the warehouse.
A committee has been formed at the Lutheran Church to seek land for a local cemetery.
By Ron Swift, museum curator