Six Patterson Boy Scouts will soon depart for the east coast to attend the National Scout Jamboree in Virginia. They are Terry Keller, Tim Hulen, John Henson, Michael Smith, Corey Hulen and Tyson Frank.
Pattersonites have a long tradition of success in the annual Destruction Derby at the county fair. Dan Dark won the first derby back in 1974. This year Patterson will have a number of participants—four-time winner Ralph Corwin, Gilbert Borba, Mario Martinez, Don Campbell, Aaron Days, Jerry McGuire, and Gary Scoles, plus Bob Yamamoto and last year’s champ Scott Ellery of Westley.
50 years ago – July 23, 1964
Members of the Patterson Planning Commission oppose the removal of approximately 75 large palm trees on the unused portion of East Las Palmas Avenue near the river. The county is considering a request for the trees by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They would be moved to the church’s new temple in Oakland.
The school district is requesting that North Seventh Street in front of the high school be made one-way.
A teaching principal has been hired to head the faculty at the Grayson School. He is Oliver Vickers, who will teach sixth grade.
75 years ago – July 21, 1937
A veteran fire engine being used by the city volunteers has been condemned by the Board of Fire Underwriters. It must soon be replaced.
The Rev. John Benton Deardirff, pastor of the Brethren Church here from its founding in 1912 until it dissolved a number of years ago, has died.
Five bands and drum corps are scheduled to march in this weekend’s Horsethief Bend parade.
100 years ago – July 25, 1914
The season’s first shipment of melons grown in the Patterson area went out this week. The crop is said to be of high quality.
A man who came here from San Francisco to relieve Irrigator editor Elwyn Hoffman while the latter went on vacation for a month has been committed to a Stockton hospital. The court ordered his sanity checked after he spent much of his time imbibing in Newman bars.
The “dry” movement continues to gain momentum in Patterson with guest speakers drawing sizable crowds on Sunday evenings.
By RON SWIFT, museum curator