History corner
Jun 05, 2014 | 657 views | 0 0 comments | 12 12 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Patterson High School’s first graduating class in 1915 had never held a class reunion.

But finally, 49 years later, they gathered in 1964 when they returned to Patterson for a special event.

The six living members of that first class returned to the community of their roots as honored guests of the PHS class of 1964 and to attend the school’s 50th commencement ceremony.

Two of those six were still well-known Patterson residents. They were Justus T. Christopherson and Marion Olson. Other attendees at the reunion were Laura (Ellis) Snyder of Yucaipa, Emma (Ramazzina) Teel of San Francisco, Bessie (Lear) Rasch of San Bruno and Evelyn (Larson) West of San Mateo. All six were seated on the stage at the graduation ceremony as honored guests.

After attending the ceremony, the group gathered at the home of Christopherson. Earlier in the day, they had enjoyed a buffet supper at the home of Margaret and Dr. George Bettencourt. Margaret Bettencourt and Evelyn (Larson) West were sisters.

A seventh member of the class, Glen Hanner, had died young during his college years.

Twenty years later, five of the class members returned as special guests of Patterson’s Diamond Jubilee celebration. That big bash in 1984 commemorated the 75th anniversary of the founding of this community.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.