Patterson's Past
Mar 18, 2014 | 1187 views | 0 0 comments | 169 169 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago – March 23, 1989

A committee of senior citizens has been formed to advise the city on the Senior Center Bond Act grant of $29,000 received some time ago. Committee members are Leo Halseth, Robert Mills, Vera McGee, Joyce Barfuss and Walter Rea.

Police Chief Richard Bull will soon attend the 11-wewek FBI academy at Quantico, Virginia.

A new staff position has been filled in City Hall. Sheila Cumberland has been hired in the Finance Department to oversee long range revenue for casting and debt service administration.

50 years ago – March 19, 1964

Patterson High’s enrollment has remained sturdy throughout the school year, rather than taking a dip during the winter months as it has in the past. It stood at 403 in February, compared with 368 a year ago.

The Patterson 20-30 Club will again hold its Easter egg hunt for youngsters age 12 and under. Carl Sierra and Cliff Graser are co-chairmen.

Construction of 30 new low-rent housing units in Patterson and Westley is continuing on schedule.

Bids will be opened next week in Sacramento for the first stretch of California Aqueduct construction in this area.

75 years ago – March 17, 1939

Classes for beginners English will start at the high school as a part of the Americanization program. Grace Morgan will be the instructor.

Sea Scouts under the direction of Al Bevis held a hay raid last weekend in Del Puerto Canyon for members and guests. The Boy Scout troop headed to the snow above Long Barn for a weekend of activity under Scoutmaster Art Hall. Included among the large group were Robert English, Howard Gomes and Gene Wheeland.

Formation of the Benefit Club by inmates at the county facility in Del Puerto Canyon will allow participants to share grievances and suggest camp improvements.

100 years ago – March 21, 1914

Patterson town and Colony residents this week mourned the March 14 death of T.W. Patterson, age 54. He died in San Francisco after an operation.

The new Patterson Café will open next to Patterson Drug on Del Puerto Avenue. The proprietress is Mrs. George Ingels.

The Wednesday Afternoon Study Club met and heard classical Russian music.

The boys’ and girls’ basketball teams at Patterson High are scheduled to play Gustine here this Saturday if weather permits the outdoor games. This with be the first athletic competition for the new school.

—By Museum Curator Ron Swift

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at