History Corner
by Ron Swift | Patterson Irrigator
Jul 04, 2013 | 1338 views | 0 0 comments | 82 82 recommendations | email to a friend | print
As noted in a recent column on these pages, rural Patterson residents were in a heated uproar in the summer one hundred years ago in 1913.

It may have been the community’s first major flap.

Late in the spring of that year, two meetings of rural residents were held – one in the north end of the Colony and a second in the south. The question was whether the Patterson Elementary School District should construct rural schools in these areas.

The northern families favored a rural school, and those present at the southern meeting rejected the idea.

But wait. A few of the southerners turned vocal and claimed their meeting was not well advertised or attended. After consulting the county superintendent of schools, a Mrs. Boggs, the district trustees scheduled a second meeting to debate the issue.

It was held in a southern farmhouse and again, the sentiment for a rural school in that area was decidedly negative. The debate also got very heated.

Those favoring a southern school threatened to form their own school district and filibustered long enough that a formal vote was not taken.

But what was decided was an appointment of a three-member committee to meet with the district trustees and Mrs. Boggs to plot the boundary area for a southern elementary school. The plan, hardly disguised, was to possibly eliminate some residents who did not favor a school.

So readers must be patient for the next report of this saga.

(To be continued)

Ron Swift, curator of Patterson’s downtown museum

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.