Steve Pittson has opened a chiropractic office in Patterson.
The Apricot Fiesta will soon open its new office on North Salado Avenue next to the library. However, the Miss Apricot pageant faces cancellation unless more entries are received by this Friday, according to coordinator Sharon Craven.
Patterson’s new city manager, John Nachbar, 31, started his duties Wednesday. He comes here from his native state of Kansas.
The Patterson High hard-ballers won the 19th annual Orestimba Easter Tournament, the first time the Tigers have garnered the championship trophy. Pitcher Chris Dennis, who won two tourney games, was named the MVP, while Louis Gonzales, Robert Salinas and Jim Talia were all-tourney selections.
50 years ago — April 12, 1962
The American Legion Hall, a Patterson landmark since 1920, when it was built by the Women’s Colony Club, was destroyed by a fire of unknown origin late last Saturday morning.
The Patterson Disaster Committee, chaired by Mayor Mario Ielmini, has identified three local fallout shelters — Paul Snider’s auxiliary garage on South Third Street, Patterson Union High School and the basement of the E.L. Fink building on Del Puerto Avenue.
The FFA chapter entry bested five other competitors in last Saturday’s third annual raft race down the San Joaquin River. The Lions Club, winner of the first two annual races, was second.
Patterson High’s David Voit was a double winner in the Central Valley Science Fair and will compete at the Seattle World’s Fair in early May. Charles Mears and Dale Johnson also won prizes.
75 years ago — April 16, 1937
The Shell Oil Co. has established its headquarters here for the exploration of oil on the West Side. The crew consists of 24 men.
Five-year property tax delinquencies on vacant city lots owned by the Patterson Ranch Co. are in the discussion stage in City Hall.
Plans for a county tuberculosis center in Del Puerto Canyon are moving along. The center would include the present probation camp, an indigent camp, a camp for alcoholic cases, and possibly one for mild mental cases.
100 years ago — April 11, 1912
Voter registration will end April 13 for next month’s primary election, the first time California women will be allowed to cast ballots. However, one or two Patterson women already voted in this week’s local school board election, in which J.E. Norton was tapped for a three-year term. He joins trustees H.L. Michael and C.A. Sperry on the board.
D.B. George has sold his 10-acre ranch on Las Palmas Avenue to N.J. Blomgren of Minneapolis, an agent for the Payne Investment Co. that is selling land here. Blomgren will soon move his family to Patterson.
Modesto’s population has reportedly climbed above 6,000.
The Chamber of Commerce will contact the railroad to complain about freight trains blocking local crossings.
James Rouse took a party fishing in the river and reports having much success. He alone caught 15 fish, all of which were about 36 inches in length.
The congregation of the Swedish Evangelical Mission Church will hold its first services in the new $5,500 building this Saturday evening and Sunday, despite the construction work not being fully completed.