The Fourth of July has come and gone, and many pets went missing, panicked by the loud sounds.
Here are a few tips to keep your pets safe during this time:
1. Confine them in the house or a secure kennel in the days after July 4, as well as beforehand; don’t leave them in the yard.
2. If a pet goes missing, immediately go to Stanislaus Animal Services Agency on Cornucopia Way in Modesto to look for your pet and to leave a “lost pet” flyer. Also call Westside Animals for Adoption in Patterson at 892-3114, as we might have been called about your pet.
4. Make a flyer and pass it out to as many businesses, veterinarians, groomers and other people as possible.
5. Google an online service to blanket your area with postcards about your lost pet.
6. If your pet is microchipped, be sure the implanter and chip company have your current contact information.
7. Keep trying. Sometimes it takes weeks or months for pets to surface. Someone might have the animal who has not notified the public.
Augusta Farley, Westside Animals for Adoption, Patterson